1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is misnaming an offense?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Champelliot, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    As I'm slowly trying to edge my way into unusual trading, I'm seeing more and more low tier hats named and redescribed to mimic another hat.
    For example, today I have seen a N&B Topper named "Hat of Undeniable Wealth and Respect", as well as described with the usual description, and many fetti hats redescribed to say "Effect: Burning Flames" or "Effect: Sunbeams".

Is this an offense, or just a caveat emptor type of thing?
  2. Backseatsman

Backseatsman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31430526
    As far as I know it is not unless they try to tell you it is that hat and try to sell it to you for more.
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Naming or changing description of item is fine, its the intent to mis-represent the item that is the problem but they have to make an attempt to say its something it isn't to complete a trade which sad to say falls back on the other trader and common sense.
  4. atom-

atom- Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:19172005
    Thanks for this enquiry. I'll be happy to tell you how I handle such items/reports of this nature.

Though not as prevalent as in the past, its still something which comes up now and again. Horsedick is right, intent needs to be shown that the individual is representing the item in the incorrect light/deception, to leverage a value disparity in the trade.

This intent can be determined by:
    1) Chatting with the potential scammer as an interested party in the hat - talking about its value, current offers etc
    2) Through the trade window/chat - demanding an 1:1 unusual for his remaned/described unique/vintage/genuine etc item, switching in an unusual where he pushes that unusual to unusual is fine.
    3) Posting the item on TF2OP or TF2TP- individual was in the right of frame of mine to represent this item to a larger audience, description of this trade can further incriminate the person.
    4) Presence of the remaned item in backpack/inventory - though no intent is actually seen just by having it in their bag, there is absolutely no reason for a trader to have a unique baker boy renamed "unusual baker boy" "Effect: Burning Flames". There really isn't. Whether a tag is applied is done through further enquiry and the item's movement, talking to other parties who had possession of the hat. This is done on a case by case basis- but to me seeing the item in a pack, I would issue a CAUTION tag as a preventative measure, unless the item is cleaned or destroyed. Though no scam has occurred with no explicit intent shown, having the item in your inventory makes you strictly liable (no intent necessary).

Hope this helps :)
    Melkor, Eoj Nawoh and Champelliot like this.
  5. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    Thanks for the reply, I assume this extends to cover the times people tried to pass off a wrench renamed "Golden Wrench" "Imbued with ancient power" for massive prices on trade servers and in random trades.
  6. metoxys

metoxys New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:27169471
    I've once seen an Engineer hatless renamed Hat of Undeniable Wealth and Respect. People these days...
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

tbh, that one I can understand, you cant see the hat, its invisible :)
  8. metoxys

metoxys New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:27169471
    Oh my ^^
  9. demanrisu

demanrisu New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19929219
    Haha, perfect.
  10. ~Mr. Turtles

~Mr. Turtles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41811124
    Most people do it to have fun, or just to make some people laugh

BUT:
    If they try to pass off the hat as another hat in a trade, either selling or buying, that's bad
  11. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    The line between being clever/funny and trying to scam is a thin one.

I remember I had a guy when I was newer offering me an Unusual with two effects. Burning Flames and P. Fetti! Not to mention it was "Gifted by Gabe Newell" himself.