1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about a person I traded with who now has a caution

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by BrokenWolf, Jul 12, 2012.

1. BrokenWolf

BrokenWolf New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13910871
    I tried to search for this question but I can never get the format right.

Back in February I traded for an Unusual hat from someone who at the time was clean on SR. That person now has a caution on SR. I know that if you trade with scammers you will get marked but what about when people review trade histories? Will I now get a caution as well for having traded with him or am I safe as long as I do not trade with him again?

Just wanting to make sure.

Thank you.

BW
  2. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    If his status was clean at the time of the trade, then there is nothing for you to worry about. If SR marked people for trading with people who became scammers, nearly every unusual trader would have a tag.
    Trading with a marked scammer is the offense, trading with a person who is not yet marked is completely fine.
  3. BrokenWolf

BrokenWolf New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13910871
    I was thinking that was the case but as I am getting into trading more I just wanted to verify.

Thank you.

BW
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    But if you see an obvious alt (recent join, low hours etc) then we just look at the experience of the trader, experienced traders look at that and know that those are most probably scammer alts. We do account against that.

So while trading with anybody as long as it isn't a scammer tag is fine, you still have a responsibility in regards to check out the other person and validate their status.