1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about scammers

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by (>^-^)>Jomel_Lam<(^-^<), May 29, 2013.

1. (>^-^)>Jomel_Lam<(^-^<)

(>^-^)>Jomel_Lam<(^-^<) New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29207942
    This might sound kinda weird but a while back I met a trader in a server who wanted to sell me an unusual (although he was fairly new and, well, says he bought $100 dollars worth of keys for it one go.) Soon after, he talked to me about apparently being scammed out of his unusual via promising through paying with real money with another person. I tried helping him with the case and he gave me the names of the scammers. When I checked their inventory, they did have his hat, and i checked my friend's inventory afterwards and checked the history, he really did use to own that hat. I asked him about the trade, apparently it was his unusual for money via steam wallet and he never got the money (or so he says). So i checked the scammer again and saw a link to his steamrep (that was kinda how i found out about this site XD) and he didnt particularly have any bad history but my friend claims the scammer faked affiliation with valve. When I checked my friend's profile on steamrep however; he was marked as a scammer.
    Basically I'm asking... If a scammer scams another scammer and has no other history of scamming but that, are they still scammers and reportable?
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Yep, but we do keep a very close eye on those cases, and the proof must be beyond any doubt.

sounds to me that this was already sometime ago, when the /me was still working and he got scammed by 'm with the

/me has enabled automatic transfer $ xx.xx of money via Steam Wallet

blah. We'd need screenshots of the chat, trading history etc. I don't think he has kept the chat.
  3. (>^-^)>Jomel_Lam<(^-^<)

Steam:
    Thanks for the fast reply
    and uh it was around 4 days ago
    and i'm guessing its a dead case unless i actually have the victim's steam wallet records and that's probably private and such, not to mention the chat is probably long gone and so is the proof.
    well thanks though, I'll just keep an eye out of the scammer ( he changed his name and profile pic when i asked him where he got the unusual)
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

you don't understand I guess.

Steam wallet exchange is ONLY possible thru the Community Steam Market (beta) (see: http://steamcommunity.com/market/ ). where one on their own account sets a item for sale, and the other buys it VIA steam, WITHOUT interacting with the seller. Valve takes a cut (15 %), and neither party has ANY risk.

One CANNOT set up a steam wallet transaction by trading directly with the buyer.

Read this:
    Community market FAQ: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214

I'll quote some:

5. King [Trading]

King [Trading] New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48839287
    Scammer scams a scammer

How does that even work?
  6. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    It doesn't, scamming a scammer makes you a scammer. SR has replied to this query many times.
    Nathan Cash likes this.
  7. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    ^What he said. I have seen questions asking if it was okay that someone scammed a scammer. Its not... Scamming is Scamming, period.
  8. (>^-^)>Jomel_Lam<(^-^<)

Steam:
    oh so it was a doomed trade to begin with :p