1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question regarding a possible attempted scam

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Dr. Mikard, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Dr. Mikard

Dr. Mikard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:20406014
    I'm pretty new to SteamRep reporting, but from what I can see I need some solid evidence of attempted scam to file a report. That's why I wanted to ask if there's any way to keep an eye out for this person: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198059461027/

The account is sporting a tf2wh avatar and tried to add me (I use tf2wh), but I checked the profile and my tf2wh queue right away and blocked the account. After that, the account made the profile private and changed its name.

Should I have accepted the friend request and actually permitted the scam attempt in order to have evidence for a report? I have strong suspicion this person might be trying to scam t2wh users.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

you could have initiated the chat, no need to actually give items etc.
  3. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    Well it's best to get as much evidence as you can (EX: Adding him and seeing how he responds). Usually it's impossible to tell a scammer's motive just by looking at him but in this case, it shouldn't be to hard considering how he is impersonating a TF2WH bot. I think it would be a god idea either to report him for impersonating in the report a scam section or wait for an admin to see this thread and mark him.
    VenGanZa likes this.
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I've marked the account, bit too obvious.