1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question(s)

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Shoopuffs, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Shoopuffs

Shoopuffs New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49651343
    Ok, so I recently joined steamrep and noticed someone on my friendslist is apparently a serious scammer, we've never traded before, but a while back, (it's been probably close to a year, I wanna say around September maybe) I gifted him something in a gifting thread I was in. I was relatively new to steam at the time (less than a year), so when he said he couldn't trade on his main account I didn't think anything of it and just sent the item to his alt. It was a game, nothing related to TF2 or anything like that. I removed his alt account a few minutes ago when I noticed it had a scammer tag on it, but I still have his main on my friendslist in case anyone needs to see it for some reason (it has a scammer tag also).

I'm just curious if this is going to somehow effect my standing with streamrep. I've only done a handful of trades in my time as a steam users, most of which with close personal friends irl, the others being with people from a trading group.

One more question, I've noticed steamrep makes a point of listing if you have any friends that are scammers or if any of your friends friends are scammers, does it effect me if I have a friend that has a scammer on their friendslist?

Forgive me if I'm asking too many questions, or if these kinds of questions have already been asked.
    Any other details I may have left out that are needed I am happy to provide.
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Don't worry at all, as you say this was a year ago, and you probably had no clue about SR then anyway.

The rule about trading with scammers is to stop people from actively helping them profit, bear in mind some scammers use people to "fence" their goods.

SR has a very sensible policy, they never punish new users,those who are unaware of SR or those who simply did not know someone was tagged. It is quite hard to actually receive a caution or full tag for trading with marked players. In the first instance a warning is usually given.

SR generally only gives a caution or above if a person repeatedly deals with marked players (and they would have warned previously usually). Users with a lot of trading experience, who are aware of SR are more likely to suffer penalties than those who can reasonably be considered less knowledgeable.

As for having friends who are tagged. There is no law against it, indeed many very reputable people have one or two tagged players in their lists, mainly real life friends or competitive players. Naturally the best policy is to have no scammer friends if possible, remember people who might want to trade with you, may take a dim view of you if they see a bunch of scammers, and gaining credibility with the various TF2 communities can be somewhat harder with a list full of tagged players :)

Oh and nothing wrong with asking questions, how else does one learn? I will say that often you can simply search SR and find your questions have already been mentioned before.

Good luck.
    Shoopuffs and Mattie! like this.
  3. Shoopuffs

Shoopuffs New User

Steam:
    Thanks so much for the help, I had no idea this site even existed until earlier when I was looking up some items for TF2.
    I'm not a huge trader, so this site is definitely helping me out so far. I'm still a little confused on how I actually go about getting rep, as far as I can tell it looks like I have to make a thread or something first, but I'm not really sure. I'm doing some reading up on everything though, and trying to get a feel for things. Looking forward to being able to do some trades with people here once I get better at TF2 lol.

Thanks again!
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Do not worry about "Rep"

I am guessing you are not someone who buys and sells using Paypal or similar, so Rep is meaningless in your case. Rep really only has importance in "risk trades" where one party is obliged to "go first" due to the trade being outside steam, and even in such cases Rep is of little importance, since for most people using a reputable Middle Man is far safer.

As for Rep threads, there are many sites you can use, but again only if you use Paypal or similar. SOP is the best but has strict rules, others such as MCT/TF2-TRADER exist also. Remember if you do not engage in any risk trading, such threads are pointless and posts would be considered invalid since there is no risk in steam trading itself.

Do not confuse rep with profile page comments, that is no kind of rep at all, and you should never trust it. Entries can be deleted and it is too easy for people to post fake rep without any way to verify it.

The best thing is "reputation", in other words the good will you develop with communities and users based on your dealings with them over time. Trade safe, trade smart and do unto others as you would have them do unto you and you won't go wrong :)
  5. Shoopuffs

Shoopuffs New User

Steam:
    I've never done any trades via Paypal, but I can't deny the chance that I may do something like that in the future.
    So basically what you are saying is, that if I am just doing trades through the steam engine, I don't need to worry about rep?
    I did a trade with a fellow a moment ago for one of my old strange parts for a key, we went through the trade system and at the end he commented on my profile +rep and I in turn did the same for him. I know you guys said earlier that stuff is pretty much pointless, but as far as actual steam trading, is that useful for anything?
  6. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Well it doesn't hurt that people comment in your profile in a positive way, but it certainly isn't rep :)
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

check out the guide section on the forum... you might find a topic or 2 of interest on rep.