1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Pending Report: 76561197966196690 - ([CSGO] Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Items)

Discussion in 'Pre-2017 Reports' started by Wingflare, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53277182
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Other] Any other fraudulant behavior
    Virtual item type involved: [CSGO] Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Items

Accused profile: 76561197966196690

Victim profile: 76561198066820093

What happened? Description:
    oPx added me to "play CS:GO" and tried to get me to sign up at a "csgoleague.org" and to download the client, a fake client that is supposedly like CEVO or ESEA, but will actually steal my entire inventory.​

Provide Evidence:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
  3. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42037753
    I'm not sure if it is, but this seems more like a phishing attempt.
  4. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
    I'm pretty sure it's not a phishing attempt. Since the website instructs me to download the client, it's definitely a way to wipe my inventory out. Telling people to download a fake client or voip is a common method of inventory scamming for CS:GO (not sure for TF2 and Dota 2), and this isn't the first time people have tried to get me to download something fishy.
  5. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42037753
    It's not one of the more common scams, though it seems to be effective when it succeeds. Glad to hear you didn't fall for it. Also, do you have the rest of the chat between you and the scammer? I'm assuming more was said after you took your screenshot.
  6. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
    That's our entire conversation. He didn't reply after my last comment, so I took the screenshot and removed/blocked him.

Another rather suspicious bit is his url. His Steam64 ID is "76561197966196690" but for his custom url he set up "7111234678972268" which I'm guessing is a small attempt to thwart others from finding him again or being able to report him. But that's just speculation from me.
  7. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
  8. Captain Unicorn Smiles

Captain Unicorn Smiles r/dota2trade moderator Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:55854370

SR no longer handles phishing reports. While certainly scams in their own right, phishing attacks are normally perpetrated by bots or compromised accounts, making it extremely difficult to confirm intent of the actual Steam owner and a hassle for SR if the accounts was indeed compromised.
  9. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
    Phishing according to Google: the activity of defrauding an online account holder of financial information by posing as a legitimate company.

This is not a report on phishing. This is a report on someone:

1. Attempting to get someone to download malicious software in order to clear out a victim's inventory (original purpose of this thread)
    and 2. Posing as someone well-known in order to get donations and otherwise scam unknowing individuals (new evidence brought by reddit thread)
  10. Captain Unicorn Smiles

Steam:
    That is the SR/steam definition of phishing, so regardless of what dictionary.com, Google, or anyone else says, this report was for phishing which is not handled by SR.

If he is impersonating w/ intent to defraud it will likely need to be filed under a separate report.
  11. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
    Would you mind telling me where I can find this rather unorthodox definition of "phishing"?

I've looked through Steam Support and Steamrep FAQs and a few other places that I thought I could find this information, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
  12. Captain Unicorn Smiles

Steam:

http://forums.steamrep.com/search/4612266/?q=phishing&o=date&c[node]=17

Any instance of sending a link w/ intent to hijack or steal items from someone's account is phishing. I won't argue semantics with you, but you can check for yourself in the search.
  13. Wingflare

Wingflare New User

Steam:
    I see. Thank you for your help.

To Steamrep admins, I'd like to request that you specifically write your new definition of phishing in both your FAQs and in http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/notice-changes-to-investigation-policy.47952/ so that further confusion and frustration can be avoided.
    The current "Phishing" section in the above link only states that one must report phishers to Steam Support and says nothing about the new definition. There is no justification to reports being invalidated when such rules are not easily accessed or viewable, much less not even specifically written.
  14. Captain Unicorn Smiles

Steam:
    @Wingflare

In this case I'd try contacting the /r/globaloffensivetrade admins to get him at least marked caution. It doesn't seem that he's a bot and he does appear to be impersonating w/ intent to defraud if he is asking for donations in the name of another user. SR may mark him eventually, but they have a large backlog and this is better handled by the individual partners for quick results.