1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

scammer tag question

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by morin™, Jun 11, 2012.

1. morin™

morin™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42518476
    a friend has been complaining about his tag and even added the guy he scammed back and are talking again, he made some bad decisions and has changed his ways and is interested in becoming a bigger part of the
    community if the server i moderate on, and his scammer tag may get in the way of that.

tldr: if you get a scammer tag, pay back the people you scammed or more then you scammed off of them, they forgive you and are happy with the turnouts would you be untagged?
  2. morin™

morin™ New User

Steam:
    http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198012649718 and he also claims to of not known about steamrep at the time of scamming the guy
  3. morin™

morin™ New User

Steam:
    what if he pays more then he scammed?
  4. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    Although I am not an expert on this topic, restoring the scammed items does not tend to equal a removal of a tag.
    What you must remember is, is that being tagged as a scammer is not a case of "Repay what you stole", where repaying the scammed items causes you to be untagged. Being tagged means that you have proven to the Steam community on a whole that you are an immoral and otherwise untrustworthy figure. Robbing a bank, and then paying back what you stole does not mitigate your crime. Similarly, although returning what was scammed helps, by showing some form of remorse, it does not disprove that you have scammed someone.
    Finally, not knowing that there is a body to punish you for your actions is not an excuse as far as I believe, that is like saying you didn't know the police existed.
    The long and short of it is, he scammed someone, abused their trust, and proved himself untrustworthy. Although he may have shown some remorse for his actions, he has still soiled his reputation as a trustworthy person.
  5. Derongan

Derongan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25111831
    While I agree that imposing harsh bans is necessary, I think that appeals should be allowed after 1 year of a clean record (not yet in this case, but still). I have known Ale since before he scammed, and I have to say that he has changed a lot. Unless he is a very good and patient actor he has turned around. Even when scamming he was questioning it a fair amount, and since then has been moaning daily about his poor decisions. I've also lent him around 6 buds worth of stuff on multiple occasions and he has returned it without question whenever I asked for it back, which either shows a great improvement in his "untrustworthyness" or a great career in acting and patience.
  6. Starburst

Starburst New User

@Derongan: Some don't deserve ever to be untagged no matter how much time has passed. When I was beta testing SR back in the day, I brought up the idea with Diego of modeling SR after Spamhaus's ROKSO list. It was decided (back then, only 4 of us) that due to the risky nature of items for money trading (outside protection of both Steam and Paypal) that we needed more of a deterrent then a free pass if a year or two later you could pick back up re-scam and repeat. Its within the inherent risk of trading that everyone who trades for money knows and therefor held to this "one shot" of trust policy. We have over time, built in a lot of protections for minor offenses, correcting wrongs, improving accuracy of tagging, an extremely higher burden of verifiable proof, and adding public transparency (via the forums) to appeals so no one can anymore accuse of being marked because someone didn't like them. Our policy is the best for the majority of the trading community.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Yeah, we went from a "rumor" list back in march 2011 to a fully responsible system. And indeed, its exactly as Starry up says, we made a lot of improvements in the year that came to pass.

All this is notwithstanding that errors still happen sometimes, and that we are more then willing to repair those. We're all human after all, errors are prone to happen. It can take some lengthy time to correct it in some cases (due that then all facts must be checked on all sides).
  8. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I sort of think that this next question goes hand in hand here. I recently reported one guy for chargeback scamming. Seems that he has been trying to stay in touch with me and claims he is unaware of charging back. today he emails me acknowledging that paypal reversed the funds to him and he has the money again. Should he choose to give me the money (claims its an issue with overdraft on his limits) and he files an appeal and I acknowledge that he communicated with me ever since he found out about the tag (even though it was impossible to talk to him prior to getting tagged), does that warrant a removal of the tag? He claims it was not an intentional reversal but rather an administrative thing from paypal. would these be the type of cases where appeals can work to help remove a tag? Just curious.

I am not yet sure if he will honour returning the money to me or not because this has happened to me before. Last time this happened to me, the guy who owed me the money had his payment back reverse the charges of because he claims someone gave him a check that bounced. He seemed legit to work with me but after getting removed from is community clan and administrative responsibilities, he ended up blocking me and basically taking the tag and shrugging me off. In this type of case, I believe I would have gotten the money back (or had better chance) had he not been kicked from his clan, removed from his admin position and told that he basically will never be allowed back. In this case he got so frustrated and believed his accounts to be so FUBARed he just quit on me and his tf2 gaming and i lost the money.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    We had cases where Paypal f✿✿✿ed up, outside the guilt of the "scammer". We have experience dealing with those, and it will be taken into account.

As for your experience case, if such things happen, its telling a lot when people aren't immediately remedying the problem, for instance by giving ppl owed some items worth the debt etc. The type that is stalling is trying to extend the period unmarked is our experience.

With paypal, both parties get notes on transactions what the status is if correct, so a party dodging etc is just trying to get away with it. Each of the situations has to be taken into account, of what happened, what where the actions by whom, what proof is there for this story, etc.

If ppl are honest, they get untagged. If they try to dodge, we have no mercy, for they just are stalling to scam more.

PS: And really, NOBODY buys for couple hundreds in items 5 minutes before leaving for a vacation of 3 weeks or more.
  10. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Most don't, but I did. I bought, put up posts and went on vacation for 2 weeks the next day. I actually ended up selling some items WAY above what I would normally fetch cuz all the previous bids stayed open. but ya, thats WAY too sketchy, especially when they arent high volume traders with long standing rep.