1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Something strange happened to me...

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Ignatius Vulcan, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Ignatius Vulcan

Ignatius Vulcan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30415402
    Well, I was contacted by some guy via a screenshot. I was curious, so I added him.

He started asking me if I had any alts or the such, in which I reply no.

So, he tells me I may have been impersonated, like, someone used my Steam Profile to show proof of trades and stuff (I left trading like months ago), telling me the impersonator was banned. He said he reported MY profile (Not the impersonator, me) to a "Steam Admin", in which he pastes the profile of some guy called "[SR] Overdose | Valve" or somewhere along the lines...

He wanted me to add him to clarify things, to see if everything was alright... Since I saw it was from Steam Rep, I told him SR would look into the case, and if I had a pending case, I'd be contacted (Or so I believe, I am not sure how SR operates if they find an impersonator or scammer and wants to talk to the original guy impersonated).

The guy seemed terrified for reporting me, but I assured him that everything was ok, if they banned the guy impersonating me, he'd get banned on all accounts he used (Probably...). What calmed me down further, is that the guy only seemed to report me to that "Steam Admin". So we just went on our ways, saying good bye and stuff...

After maybe 2-3 minutes, I check that SR admin to compare it to the list of admins here, and the profile was gone!

Also, the comment he left me was gone as well!

What happened? What he wanted to do? Was I really impersonated? Or was some sort of scheme to do something? Or to scare me off into doing anything they asked? Could I have been key-logged by just clicking the "Steam Admin" profile Steam link? Or just talking to him got me key-logged or something?

I'm indeed a bit scared and creeped out by this approach. Somebody explain this to me.

Thank you for your time.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    This is a common tactic lately - that user that contacted you was likely hijacked/compromised and being controlled by a "FAKE STEAM ADMIN"
    The goal is to trick you into checking "bad items" or something along those lines in which you would trade yet a 3rd account.
    The whole thing is rather scripted and completely FAKE!
    If you look at the top of this page it even has a note that "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "PENDING" ban or Steam Admin... Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/pages/about-item-checking-scam
    Best thing for you to do at this point is to report both accounts to Valve -they can address the hijacked account or accounts..both may be in fact.