1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

TF2OP Admin Hacket servers !

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by [OBC] Oliver. ¤{Norway}¤, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    Something about Young Boys Clan just doesn't sound right

You should probably take a crash course in network security, why are you allowing ex-admins to still have RCON access or allowing them to use a global login instead of a personal user account

At the most basic level SourceMod has sm_rcon so why aren't you using that
  2. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19459148
    I'm mostly worried about him running a server that only accept old people, when he have one to attract only young boys.

Me confused.
  3. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19459148
    He ask personal ID card, birth certificate and such?
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

lol, I do see that "crash" already... and it has run its "course".

nah, just asks MLP questions, like "What is a Pegasister?" The answers indicate the age zone.
    Sjru, Melkor, Backseatsman and 2 others like this.
  5. Regen

Regen New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23013129
    Yep
  6. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    I'm not sure that'll work when it completely missed the target demographic and ended up being favored by NEETs in their mid-twenties

Also wtf is a pegasister, I'm not sure if I want to know
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Pegasister is a female brony. Its not popular, they are rather called bronies then pegasister.
  8. Regen

Regen New User

Steam:
    What the f✿✿✿ did this thread turn into?
  9. Huwarf

Huwarf New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25059158
    Just going to clear up some things here before I let this thread be:
    We have passwords and logins that we change if someone leaves, that had access to it, so all the talk about no security can be dropped.

The Y and the O in YBC and OBC is defined by age. Y doesn't mean you are a kid, you are just Younger then the Older.

I'm open for chats if someone wants to ask something, just leave a comment on my profile first. Make note that we might live in different time zones.
  10. Regen

Regen New User

Steam:
    You clearly do not know what an Rcon password is, stop making yourself look like an idiot
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Troll thread I guess, lets end that right here.

Back on topic:
    SR is no party in this tbh.
    Changing passwords should be policy and enacted. There are some exploits in rcon, but I dont believe Regen knows bout them (I just know about their existence, not how those work exactly or w/e). As a community you have to change passwords of the server regularly, specifically when a admin leaves.

As on security of the server(s), some harsh but true advice was given (IP whitelisting, SM_rcon password usage, changing passwords every x time like a week or 14 days, INCLUDING in config files.... )

I really can't take it serious on having repercussions in some way.
    Should he have deleted those backups? yes.
    Was it a breach of trust by him? sure.
    Should OBC have made better efforts of changing their password and improve their security and backups? yep.
    Did he have those passwords legit? yes, he was told to backup the server(s). That means he was trusted with that information, and allowed to do any with it.
    Was it nice of him ? No.

You state that he "hacket" your server, have reported him to Valve. But as an ex admin with the range of responsibilities he had, he had this access. It was OBC's responsibility after he left to make sure things really where changed. This wasn't verified obviously.
    Sjru and Pretender like this.
  12. Huwarf

Huwarf New User

Steam:
    Just a point. I think we said this like 2-3 times already:
  13. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Man, Regen be hacket servers all day.
    Sjru likes this.
  14. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Well obviously not. If you actually had changed the password, it wouldn't still be the same after a year.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  15. Huwarf

Huwarf New User

Steam:
    The only person who says it was the same was Regen.

What you all believe is up to yourselves, I can't force you to believe either stories.
    I just tell my side of that happend and the information I got and what I had to do during that day.
    You can do what you want with this thread, I'm not putting more countless hours in here for vain.

You are the judge here.
  16. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    I'm just saying that it's impossible to guess/brute force an rcon password. It simply means you didn't change it since he left.
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

any idea on how much different passwords already are on a TF2 server?

lets start with the HLDS instance:
    - sv_password
    - rcon_password
    - forgot the 2 or so for SourceTV
    - forgot which ones for replay.

And then you have SourceMod (mentioned above), server control panel, FTP access, stats, sourcebans, forum, etc etc etc. its a shitload of different passwords.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  18. Zerfenus

Zerfenus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35263883
    Is this really something a Outpost admin should do?
    I thought you had other things to do
  19. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    Well, just my two cents here:

I think how secure their server is, is irrelevant. We're talking about Regen, a TF2OP admin, disrupting a server by accessing it via RCON and causing trouble. Personally, I would expect conduct from an admin of a community website to much better than this. There's no sugarcoating it; Regen acted like a complete dick by disrupting the OBC server. Being an admin of a popular community site doesn't give you the right to do something like this. How would you like it if someone broke into your house and rearranged everything in the most disruptive way possible? That's basically what you did Regen.
  20. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.