1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Unmarked Alts

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mr. Valentine, May 30, 2013.

1. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50959178
    So today on one of the servers I admin for I middle manned a spy crab between two people. I said it's always nice to tip your middleman. When one person won, I gave him the items he won and he gave me flip flops as a tip. I honestly didn't know the price of them so I thought nothing of it. When I went on outpost to see them I noticed that the previous owners are banned from there. I checked each person and the guy who spycrabbed was apparently an Alt of a scammer. Our servers all have the steam rep plugin as well, immediately getting rid of any marked scammers that might try to come in. Is there something that can be done, I don't want a steam rep caution, but the alt isn't marked even though it seems he should be marked.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

We don't automatically mark alts, to prevent errors. Report the alt, and that will instigate a research for its alts and they will be marked.
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    You had no knowledge of this prior to the crab, so you are guilty of nothing. Well, if the profile concerned has suspicious info... very new steam join date, low hours, few friends, no paid for games, strange inventory etc... then you would be guilty of incompetence :)

Quick checks should always be made on unknown crabbers of high value stuff, a big tip can happen, or it can indicate a naive player or a mistake.
  4. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Thanks Data, I will make a report. Regarding being banned on Outpost, does being banned on Outpost gain an Outpost mark here?

I checked out the "newer" account and nothing seemed suspicious, three year mark, over a thousand hours in TF2, many games, etc.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

not necisarily. For a number of reasons:
    - Can be banned for other reasons
    - OP didn't report it to us
    - they banned but not on sustainable evidence for a tag.

any comm may ban for whatever reasons, but SR tags must have a foundation of evidence.
  6. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Ah okay that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.