1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

What's an ovious scammer?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by gukingofheart, Jan 7, 2013.

1. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    By obvious I mean where you'll be in trouble for trading with them.
    A little confused here. From what I understand it, these are obvious scammers.

1. Says Trade banned when you trade with them(or warns you at least)
    2. Says their a scammer on steamrep.
    3. New account and wants to trade expensive items.

But what about?
    1. Little hours, but a week to a month old. When I started out, only took me a month to get some expensive items through trading
    2. Gives you a great deal. Sometimes it's so hard to tell. One person believed he would get an unusul if he sold to me for a few keys less then what I offered, and he's been around for a really long time.
    3. If someone is on probation, are you allowed to trade with them?
    4. What about a redit scammer(not sure what they even ban for)?
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    There is no way to tell with absolute certainty that a particular user has an intention to scam: the best you can do is evaluate the information you have at your disposal.

If account is new, owns no paid for games, has tons of profile rep all given within short periods, very little in BP (list goes on and on etc).... You use you best judgement, and remember this applies mostly to trades where there is a risk (Paypal etc).

For a normal in-game trade, really you only want to ensure you are not trading with an SR tagged player.

As for "probation" that is merely Valve informing you that the user has had some kind of infraction imposed and serves are a warning to be careful (Trade ban then probation can be applied for reasons other than scamming also). You can trade with such people without a problem at all.
  3. I agree with VenGanZa, there is no sure way to tell if a player is a scammer or not unless you go trough with the deal and they turn out to scamm you.

Still I listed some very easy to spot scamming behaviors at Is he scamming or what is he doing?
    But ofcourse there is also the signs on the profile like private profile or backpack. Months old account and trading unusuals. No game except free games, etc.
  4. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Here some ways of telling if someone is a scammer alt or not.
    • New account.
    • Little to no games.
    • Hardly any hours in TF2/Dota/Whatever.
    • Has really expensive items
      • Of which come from a scammer.
      • Of which he may be selling super cheap.
    • Hardly any friends.
    • Default avatar, or none at all.
    A good combination of those could spell out scammer alt. Always do as much research as you can.

1. It's hard to tell if someone is legit based on that information. Chances are, someone with a month old account won't have a god tier unusual.
    2. There's a difference between a great deal and a deal so good that there's no way it's true. Usually scammer will have a catalog of unusuals or rare items for usually less than half the price. Just be very and check item histories.
    3. Of course, just be careful.
    4. Reddit has their own trade subreddit, as well as their own trade servers. They get actual scammers, just like every other community. Don't trade Reddit scammers.
  5. TD| Zackychuu

TD| Zackychuu New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41862856
  6. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Pretender likes this.
  7. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    The complete point to the thread is for me "to avoid trouble" I don't want to be marked.
    I try to be careful, and I really love trading. A mark on me would throw all that away.
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    If you have any doubt about a person, check them on SR for any tags.

Even if you accidentally traded with a marked player, as long as you did not do so knowingly, SR would not mark you the 1st time.

Just be cautious and prudent, SR are not monsters, they do not tag anyone for frivolous reasons, even in the 1st instance someone trading with a marked player would most likely get a friendly warning, so do not be paranoid. I do applaud you for actually asking about all this, far too many only moan after they end up being tagged for repeatedly dealing with bad eggs :)
    Dronefly likes this.
  9. TD| Zackychuu

TD| Zackychuu New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41862856
    I probably did...
    But he asked 'What is an obvious scammer?'
    and the thread that I linked to, is a person, who is an obvious scammer.