1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Which version is it?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by A.Bomb.Bill, Nov 23, 2012.

1. A.Bomb.Bill

A.Bomb.Bill New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5209396
    Is there a reliable way to find out which version of a game you're trading for?
  2. [Gent] Jeremy

[Gent] Jeremy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26649445
    What do you mean? Games bought from Russia are usually tagged (RU), North America (NA), and Rest of World (ROW). Some versions sold in Germany are forced to have reduced gore and limiting play factors (I believe Max Payne 3 in Germany you cannot kill civs), most of those are marked but some you cannot tell.
  3. A.Bomb.Bill

A.Bomb.Bill New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5209396
    what if the game doesn't have any marks?
  4. [Gent] Jeremy

[Gent] Jeremy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26649445
    Then it's usually either NA or ROW, I don't think you can be sure though
  5. PotatoPotato

PotatoPotato New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5381368
    For the games which are not marked, I think it is possible, but not simple.

The secret is that you can find out more a lot more information about a game if you can get its Sub ID. The App ID just tells you which game it is, but the Sub ID should let you know if it's an unmarked region-restricted version of that game, for example.

One way you can get the sub id of a game in your inventory is by clicking "View in Store" from the inventory view (not possible from the trade window). And then check the url of the "Add to Cart" button to find the subscription id (just mouseover, or copy link).

The serious problem with this method is that the Sub ID you see in the store can be modified by your own location (or Steam cc region setting). When you click "View in Store", Steam only seems to use the App ID to look up the game, and then shows you the version of the game with a sub id that's appropriate for your region.

So I don't know how you can be certain of finding the correct sub id for a game in somebody else's inventory without their help, (maybe not even for a game in your own inventory, if you got it from someone else). As far as I know, the original Sub ID is never exposed in the source of the trade window, which is really unfortunate.

If you know that another person bought the game themselves and without using any region-changing methods, then you can ask them to send you a screenshot of the Sub ID, perhaps.

You can look up the Sub ID and check for regional restrictions here: http://cdr.thebronasium.com/