1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why is "Impersonation with intent to defame" a punishable offense?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by [Strut Sec] Bruceatsr44, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Strut Sec] Bruceatsr44

[Strut Sec] Bruceatsr44 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40275477
    [Admin edit: full page irrelevant pic deleted]

Explain, or discuss (if your guidelines are to vague to define this case).
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    SteamRep's core mission is recording trader reputation. Impersonating someone to try to ruin their reputation undermines this entire system. Impersonating for any reason is dangerous because people may believe you, personally, are trying to use it to gain rep that you don't deserve. Abusing it to try to bring down someone else's earned reputation is a serious attack on SteamRep's goals to help the community.

Ultimately, depending on the direction of defamation (e.g. if it's not primarily about trading, but whether or not they like ponies or whatever) it may sway how SteamRep handles the offense-- as trivial, minor, or major. We strongly, strongly encourage reputable traders to avoid impersonating anyone for any reason. Your identity and professionalism are vital to your rep and ideally we avoid any questions of your own identity and whether you try to abuse other people's identity and reputation.
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I should mention here that impersonation implies more than the mere happenstance of having the same user name as someone else, it is willfully using the same avatar and purporting to be someone else.

This is either done out of spite to besmirch someone else or with intent to defraud, and impersonating someone with intent to cause some kind of harm has strong implications in TF2, just as does in the real world. I fully support the fact that SR takes action against users who engage in impersonating to the extent it becomes actionable.
    Mattie! likes this.
  4. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    SteamRep doesn't strictly deal with direct scams.
    Basically, what Mattie said.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

6. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    Just popping my head in here to take a break from the trenches of the scam report forum. :D I personally only mark for impersonation where I can see intent to scam. Full profile impersonation, targeted name change on a server after a public trade agreement, etc. are just some of the things I look for when trying to determine that intent. SteamRep is a protective service- we are just here to warn people.

Also I've been clarifying by changing offense to "Impersonation with intent to scam" or "Impersonation with attempted scam" or the like. I'm not an appeals admin so I don't do appeals but I have reversed my own tags when I discovered that I made an error or the like. I'm only human and I know this. :) I have no problem rectifying my mistakes.
  7. takethepants

takethepants New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:27332147
    I wouldn't open it again. Also, in this specific case, his group (Strut Sec) is a bunch of trolls (which we've banned from our servers) so I wouldn't doubt they were intentionally trying to do something like this. It's just like real life, if you attempt to rob someone you're still going to get punished. Just because you couldn't go through with it doesn't mean you shouldn't be punished.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I guess the question has been answered, and close the thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.