1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Can I get someone banned without them actually scamming me? Scam attempt?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by phedality, Feb 3, 2023.

1. phedality

phedality New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5547940
    So I got scammed a few weeks ago and in a frenzy I added a bunch of the guy who scammed me's +rep friends.

one of the guys just accepted me and a quick skim of his profile, im 100% sure this guy is in his scamming networking.

He has the exact same profile setup, bad grammar, fake reps that start when he bought the account.

He sits afk in dota all day to accumulate hours but has only 8 games played last 6 months but hundreds of hours accumulated.

No items in his inventory even though he claims he has lots of high valued items. and "instantly resells" In his profile he asks people to go first and he pays second.

basically the exact same pattern as the other guy. just waiting for this guy to try to ping me and set me up
  2. phedality

phedality New User

Steam:
    Just trying to be a good Samaritan and at the same time feel some Revenge/Vengeance towards all these scammers. They should never scam anyone again. At least make them buy more accounts and set them up again
  3. phedality

phedality New User

Steam:
    Second guy who says "Good Deal Mate, that was smooth deal for 2 grand" He's one of the main reasons I even trusted the first guy to scam me. But now I see his profile is setup the same way for scamming
  4. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Hi @phedality ,

I edited your most recent post here to remove the screenshot that you uploaded, as any screenshots identifying a Steam user should only be submitted as evidence in a report or appeal, not here in the General Discussion section.
    Evidence from a scam attempt alone can lead to a user being marked, but you will have to make sure that the evidence you provide covers all the Report Submission Fundamentals and that the scam attempt falls under SteamRep's Investigative Policy.

On a more specific note, scammers can make high quality 'alt' accounts with little to no effort. At the end of the day these accounts are created or hijacked much faster than reports are made for them, and it is simply more important to help traders recognize the hallmarks of an account that is used for scamming through education and outreach.
    Have a good day!
  5. phedality

phedality New User

Steam:
    That's crazy, these guys all have 10 year old accounts somehow. They rep each other with their own accounts and all use the exact same setup / pattern. I guess you have a good point. I'll share a post on reddit instead to help identify some very common markers of a scammer account.

The guy just sent me a trade request offering over pay again, just like the other guy. He also referred me to some scammy ass looking re-sell website.

If I keep playing along, and bait him to try to scam me. That still counts? At what point is the cutoff for the scam to be considered a "scam" without me actually sending this dude anything. You're right though, theres no way I can report them all and expect you to investigate them fast enough.

I just really freakin hate scammers man lmao.

Have a great night and thanks so much for what you do here on this forum!!
  6. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    In general, one of the fundamental evidence requirements for a report to be reviewed is a proof of failure to uphold a trade agreement.
    In your hypothetical case, it seems like you wouldn't be able to prove that their end of the bargain wasn't held up, as you haven't reached the stage where an item is traded over the Steam trade window.

On top of the links posted in my first reply, I would encourage you to take a look at the Archived Reports folder for a better understanding of what the reports staff are accepting, denying, or asking for more evidence for.
    Hope this helps. :)
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    We do not want or advise people to "play along" Our goal here isn't to BAN people... we don't exist for that. Our goal here is to educate safe trading and my advice on the situation is to let it go. The tricky situations that you think you can contain may back fire and we don't condone vigilante actions against users either. I've seen those like yourself want to act in this way for many years now and it often backfires so - let it go. Just go back to your normal thing. Users that were tagged here in the past or even before hand may have hundreds of alts like Gent said...we can't control that only Valve can so if you have issues with that situation I recommend addressing it with them, perhaps one day they will resolve that ability.

At the end of the day we won't review reports accusing others of Alt accounts, accusations/assumptions of scamming is often times super difficult to prove and we don't review reports for those reasons either.

So lastly again - let it go.
    phedality and a Gentleman like this.
  8. phedality

phedality New User

Steam:
    Gotcha. Thanks guys. :) Have a good one.