1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

"I'm sorry, I accidentally reported you."

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Dolan Trupp, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Dolan Trupp

Dolan Trupp New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:201169765
    So I quite regularly get messages from people saying "I'm sorry I accidentally reported you for duped items and you might get banned." Is that evidence enough for steamrep to ban them? Because it's pretty obvious that they're trying to scam me.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    This is a highly used tactic right now by hijacked accounts 95% of them are from what we can tell. If someone says this its very very likely they were hijacked and the best thing you can do is report the account right to Valve as soon as you can.
    They will be able to tell the difference and lock down the account quickly if that is the case.
  3. Dolan Trupp

Dolan Trupp New User

Steam:
    Thank you. Will do. Should I report them on steamrep as well?
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    You can if you have the proper evidence but remember - if the account that started this is hijacked you would be putting additional burden on them to prove they were not when or if the account was recovered.
    See we don't know this for sure, but the amount of reports already received for this issue points to that is the case nearly each time.
  5. Dolan Trupp

Dolan Trupp New User

Steam:
    So you are saying that if I believe they were hijacked, I should be wary that if the real user regains the account, they might have to deal with being unfairly banned on Steamrep due to things their hijacker did and not them? If so, I will not report them, because it seems like they were hijacked.
  6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    "unfairly banned" - no , that isn't what I said.
    We don't know if they were hijacked or not, only Valve will know that. All we would do is treat the report as a legit scam attempt and act upon it like any other if the evidence shows that and is enough to tag for.
    We have no idea if they are or not, all I'm telling you is 95% of the accounts reported for the exact same deal seem to have been hijacked and if you feel that is the case then don't report it here.
    You can refer to our hijacking/phishing policy also for that.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-investigative-policy.140101/
  7. Dolan Trupp

Dolan Trupp New User

Steam:
    Okay. In that case I will only report them as being hijacked on Steam and not report them in SR.