1. SteamRep is shutting down at the end of 2024. See announcement.

Questions regarding bans

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Clarn, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:95028868
    Hey,

I was wondering what are the reasons a staff member can ask someone to not appeal. And what are the steps that one can take to have his case reviewed? As I'm not trying to re-appeal, ignoring what the Staff member told me. Only trying to figure out the right approach to this situation.

I've also saw some people talk about New Scammer Clemency Program. What is that exactly? And how can one benefit from it?

Oh and lastly. Is there any up and coming or current policy that speaks about very old scams or just how the whole "Change of Heart" Appeal works? Or how does SteamRep handle these situations?

Is it like once a scammer, that's it? You cannot appeal or try to do anything about your ban even if you did the reimbursement/don't trade.. etc

Hopefully, these are things you guys feel comfortable to discuss as I'm genuinely curious on how the process actually works. Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2023
  2. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    First Question already answered here https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-guide.66354/ #11 Second question, no update on this, if we do it, we will announce it, until then, not worth asking about since their is nothing to update anyone about. Third, nothing is different for "very old scams", this is actually why we came up with the clemency idea, as above tho, no new updates. Few other questions I will head off for you, yes, tags are permanent by design. And your repayment question can be found here https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-guide.66354/ #9 You also can use the search feature of the forums as a lot of these questions can be found or have already been asked by others. Otherwise feel free to ask after.
  3. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    Thank you for getting back to me & doing your best to answer these questions, however I've read the appeal guide plenty of times, trust me. That is the main reason why I opened this discussion as there's only one chance given to appeal w/ the ability to discuss or defend your stance on it. It looks like even if you follow everything mentioned there step by step your appeal will most likely get denied, which is what I'm trying to understand tbh.

If there's an appeal section, that means people can have a "Change of Heart" & maybe get the opportunity to simply not have their profiles flagged because of some stupid mistake they made 10+ years ago. It almost feels like SteamRep is a prison where you commit one mistake & get a life sentence/death sentence.

And also, I wouldn't ask you about "New Scammer Clemency Program" If I knew anything about, I was waiting for more of a clarification & explanation on what that is, not for you to demand me not to talk about it until it's announced or talked about by the staff team.

And I totally disagree with you saying that most of these questions were answered, as I truly don't think that this is a general case. There seems to be a common theme going on where people's questions within their appeals are being compeletely bashed & ignored and where the staff just closes to application, denies it & threatens you to never post an appeal or it'll prevent you from posting there once for all. Like obviously, the only reason one would want to post in the appeal section is to appeal his ban or at least i'll talk about myself.

Here I am once again, no proper answers just bunch of stuff redirecting me to some shitty policy with plenty of gaps, where they say they give people chances to make up for their mistakes but not really. You can commit one mistake at 15 and appeal after 10 years & no one would ever bother to even care about your case, talk to you with absolutely and utter disrespect like you've committed murder.
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Just to chime in a moment - your questions were answered and the links provided are available to everyone that appeals not just you and they or at least 95% of them seem to understand it clearly perhaps you should re-read it.
    First question:
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-guide.66354/ #11 - that link and that section completely explains why you are only permitted 1 appeal and with multiple reasons in fact.
    Be sure to read the entire section - slowly because it covers it well along with any and all options you may or may not have.

Second question:
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-backlog-cleared.197527/
    answered there in that post as you only asked what is it and how can one benefit from it - you didn't ask when it would be implemented but the admin covered that before you would as a nice gesture.

Third Question:
    The reply given was
    That was pretty much it, we have no new updates regarding that otherwise you would have seen them posting front and center. Many have asked these questions already and searching would have yielded these same results/replies. So yes the answers were answered, we can not help that you do not like them. You aren't being bashed or ignored - we replied to your questions, we kept it straight forward and to the point that isn't bashing you at all. You weren't threatened either - you were advised to not post a new appeal or you may be blocked from submitting future appeals. Look thru others Archived appeals and you will see the same reply is given to everyone not just you..this is a standard response.

The policies the appeals team has written is pretty darn good... I would love to adopt some of them in some form for reports however I think for now what we are doing on that side works pretty good.

I hope I helped break that down a little better for you although I'm not on the appeals side. If some of my wording is a little off the appeals admin can certainly revise my post any time.
  5. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    I appreciate your feedback Horse. But once again a lot of the things I've mentioned were ignored about, I'm trying my best to keep this general as I know it's against the rules to discuss appeals in the General Discussion thread but I've literally asked twice about the thought process of the staff team when it comes to following up with everything that's been mentioned in the Appeal policy, doing all the necessary steps, seeing eye-to-eye with the victim yet being ignored for over 10 years for a stupid mistake that was once committed at a young age (not an excuses, I totally understand what I did). And how I compared the "policy" that you preach so much and think it's so darn good for being a life setence/death sentence prison once one commits a mistake.

The term Change of Heart doesn't really sit well at all with the policy. As well as how the staff decision can definitely be wrong but non discussable because they're simply Staff. Once the decision is made, you have no right to reply, intervene, defend yourself or provide different perspective, proof or evidence to back your situation. You just have to watch your appeal get locked & archived.

I think these are all things I would've never considered or thought of if I wasn't on the other side of all these people that have been posting on reddit complaining about how a lot of the situation are dealt with very poorly on SteamRep. And this is why I'm not even surprised that a lot of you guys don't even see anything wrong with how you handle things or talk to people.

And I totally disagree with you, what you guys currently have is definitely not pretty good. The whole concept behind SteamRep is absolutely amazing! I'm sure you guys have managed to help a lot of individuals to take the right measures to either report or put scammers on blast for their wrong doings. I'm sure this might've saved a lot of people from losing thousands of dollars and being tricked into scams which is an awesome cause and I definitely support that in these communities. But what about the few people that aren't actually actively scamming people? What about the people that might've made a mistake which they also made sure to fix in any way possible right then and then yet still have their profiles flagged and no absolute way to discuss or re-open their cases?

There has been multiple reports by ex-staff regarding how you guys handle things here, this isn't anything new in case you think that the way things are handled are pretty good then you must be blind, genuinely. How can you ignore the input of those who served this community & set out a great example for others. These are people that were once attending your meetings, following your policies & working with y'all. I can, with my all being relate to all the things I've read not because I think you guys did something wrong to me by banning me/punishing me for scamming because I genuinely think that I got what I deserved. I did something wrong, I need to get punished & i still see it that way until this day. The main issue is how one can assume that I scammed multiple times & closed my appeal when that was literally my first and last incident, haven't traded EVER after since that day. Nor am I planning to but then again how can I provide input or even ask how the staff got into that false conclusion when the appeals just get closed & archived right away

As much as there's a lot of good that you guys are doing, I feel like there's also a lot of bad. Y'all can start by simply listening more to people and for the 3rd time imma ask the same question. I'm pretty sure we all committed mistakes so how would you feel if you've been punished for a mistake you committed in your teens & still been held against you for the rest of humanity? Very simple and direct question, but I genuinely doubt that it'll get answered.
  6. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    As a staff I can openly misjudge or take a decision and even LIE about the cause why I took that decision. But NO ONE can ever do anything about it! Want to know why? First of all once the decision is taken, I can fully close & archive the appeal. Second, the so called scammer CANNOT openly discuss the case anywhere else. Why? It's against policy to discuss appeals anywhere else besides the appeal section. Sure let me discuss it in the appeal section.. Oh, you can't do that either. Why? You can only appeal once now you're banned permanently for posting on the archive section.

Sounds fair Horse right? Such a darn good policy & a way to reach a fair decision.
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I do feel as if your questions were answered as you asked them in the opening of the thread.
    Since you've responded not once but multiple times referencing your situation/appeal past I'm closing this and issuing a final warning since you were already given a prior.
    We do not discuss rejected/declined appeals/reports in the General Forum section per the FAQ.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/general-discussion-faq.132723/
    The reason for such a policy is also noted in section #3.