1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Spycrab Scams

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by iTrade ™, Nov 4, 2016.

1. iTrade ™

iTrade ™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:54646716
    Hello,
    a guy I did spy crabs with had trade hold and cancelled the three hats now. Is there any way I can report him? Would the canceled trades be evidence enough?

Thank you.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-investigative-policy.140101/
  3. iTrade ™

iTrade ™ New User

Steam:
    Thanks for the link. So if I spy crab on a valve matchmaking server in spawn I should report this exactly where?
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Well its unlikely Valve will do anything so reporting to them is prob a waste of time.
    I suggest not doing it on a Valve server to begin with - some servers/communities have special plugins that manage these things.
    Check around.
  5. Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING

Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:89145434
    It's SteamRep's policy to make some own research before agreeing with anything. The only thing SR is able to help you with is partner communities, other than that, you're on your own. SR is not affiliated with VALVe, so they cannot help you with that.
    As Horse said, try to look around on communities that host these things rather than using official VALVe servers.
  6. iTrade ™

iTrade ™ New User

Steam:
    Okay, thanks for the replies, guys! Basically, what I get from you is that scams happening on Valve servers don't interest Steamrep at all.
    Tough luck for me but thank you for your time!
  7. Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING

Steam:
    No, that is quite the opposite we are saying. SteamRep is not affiliated with VALVe, which means they cannot HELP you. This is because they have no power whatsoever to help you out, as it is a VALVe related issue.
    They are surely interested in the scams happening at VALVe. They are trying to make all users aware of what constitutes a scam and how to prevent being scammed.

It is just not within their force to do anything against it, as they have no power on VALVe-level.
  8. iTrade ™

iTrade ™ New User

Steam:
    Oh ok; my bad! Thanks for the clarification, Dragoon. So then why can't I report a spy crab scam which happened on a Valve Server on Steamrep?
  9. Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING

Steam:
    No problem.
    And because Steam is not partnered nor affiliated with VALVe. They basically have no power to ban them for something which isn't under their 'supervision'.
    You should read SteamRep's report policy. Click here.
  10. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Hello user,

I wrote this policy so hopefully I can answer your question without a dragged out reply.

They are only so many of us SR staff and wayyy more reports then we can ever realistically address. We have to prioritize/pick and choose the most efficient/effective way to deal with different types of fraud reported to us. This was not the only type of fraud we deferred to communities as the updated report policy mentions. We use to accept all such server bet reports but as the updated policy says, different communities had different rules on how to spycrab/wager amounts/involvement of server staff. It was near impossible for us to keep track of each communities rule-set (or define any parameters for non affiliated communities including Valve). Since SR itself does not operate any such servers, we decided to defer these offenses back to our partner and friend communities. I dont honestly think you actually think we dont care about fraud committed elsewhere, I understand this upsets you, but, we simply do not have the manpower/resources nor backend access that communities have to their own servers to verify certain things to meet evidence standards we have (and partners are required to have) to issue tags. Its not that we "dont have interest" as much as it would be near impossible to have a solid enough case outside affiliated communities and defined parameters to warrant a tag. if you feel you do tho, by all means, feel free to submit a report.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Roudydogg1 and iTrade ™ like this.
  11. iTrade ™

iTrade ™ New User

Steam:
    Thanks for your explanation, @You Are The One. I understand that it would be too many reports to handle :)
    I learned my lesson and will in the future only spy crab on appropriate community servers as was suggested by Horse.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  12. Gara

Gara Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42629858
    Trade servers would be your best bet. Many out there even have dedicated rooms with locks so you're not intruded upon in the middle of a wager. Just be sure to check the rules of the community server when you join, so if something happens you know if it is reportable there and where to report it.
    iTrade ™ likes this.
  13. iTrade ™

iTrade ™ New User

Steam:
    I need to get back to this. I readded the guy and have a Steam conversation in which he admits scamming me. Can I file a report with that as proof?
  14. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    SR does not accept reports dealing with spycrabs... regardless of confession or not it needs to be handled thru the server it was held.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-investigative-policy.140101/