1. SteamRep is shutting down at the end of 2024. See announcement.

User refuses a return. Claims broken trade agreement.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by The Wayne Train, Oct 2, 2023.

1. The Wayne Train

The Wayne Train Unconfirmed Reports

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:3245429
    TLDR : I have a question about users who refuse a return. What should I do? (30 Days waiting so far)

I sold a TF2VRH code, to a user for a Collector's Professional Vaccinator 1:1 exchange.

Sadly there is no way to verify the code would work, without using it, and I obtained the code as sweets in a large backpack trade. (User I bought it from claimed to have bought 2, used one and found a email he saved from one of the eBay auctions that had a code,he didn't know if it would work but stands to reason if he saved it it might)

Long story short. (Yes this is the short version) We agreed to a deal 1:1 exchange for the code, and if the code did not work, I'd return the items to them, providing they follow a few steps to safe guard my risk,
    (The buyer would share their screen and as soon as they got the message with the code from me, they'd use it immediately as to prevent the user from simply giving the code away to a friend and claiming the code never worked when it did)

The code did not work, I attempted to contact the original owner of the code, as a last ditch effort in hopes maybe he could do a big more digging to perhaps find the code he didn't use, however the purchase he made of the code(s) are from 10 years ago, and those emails and records are long since deleted.

I then offered a return, and the buyer refuses to accept. He wants me to wait and advertise / track down another code for him. I naturally refuse as that was not apart of our agreement, and he goes on about how he believes that I am lying to him, that I have a 2nd code, or that I gave him a code I knew wouldn't work, or that I am looking for more money for this magical secret 2nd code.

He claims he never knew the code may not work (I can prove otherwise)
    He claims I knew the code would not work.
    He says that if I don't honor the agreement for a "Valid TF2VRH" code that he will report me to Steam Rep and Steam.

Pretty much he is trying to force me to trade, and using his item in my inventory as leverage to attempt to manipulate me in using my status to cast a wider net to get him this rare item.

I've contacted other Admins (Backpack.tf and SR Admins) in a private setting to ask questions about this topic, and the consensus is that we all believe that this user is deserving of a return.

The problem lies with this users refusal to accept a return (and his motives for not accepting a return), until such time as I can find him another TF2VRH code (that is valid this time) or he finds one on his own. (Terms I never agreed to and never would)

Meanwhile I am getting sent images of him, chat spam, I can't remove him, I can't force him to accept the return.

My hope is that SR or Backpack.tf would act as a Middleman and accept the return on his behalf and when he wants the item back he can take it.

I never agreed to be responsible for safe guarding his items or going into debt with this user, he followed the steps needed for a return and the deal was if the code did not work, a return would take place.

If you feel SR wouldn't act as a Middleman to broker this dispute then is there a time frame that makes sense to honor the return? So far it has been 30 days and counting. (A pending trade offer has been active for the majority of the 30+ days)

Since this isn't a report I am not going to bother listing the evidence / proof I have, however if that is needed in the future I am happy to provide it (Its a fair bit)

I take my reputation seriously, I don't want this user to loose out, we've both already lost out on our trade. But I don't feel its fair to be bullied into slavery to find this guy an item he wants, because our deal was voided.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Wayne
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    This is why we do not review code reports - to many unknowns and no way to verify anything.
    You could have given a valid code - they used it and now say that it didn't work. There is no way to verify when/where/who used the code and now they want another, and another and another before they will agree trade was completely properly - you get the idea.... back to why we don't take code reports.

You've basically gotten your answer. If they don't take the items back that is entirely their decision but if you wish to cut ties with them after exhausting methods of doing the right thing then that is on you.

Nobody here at SR will do that as in backed by the site as a whole - nope isn't going to happen sorry.

Can't answer this, but I can say that if the user reports it here we won't review it due to policy... partners shouldn't also as policies are usually followed with them all so its uniform and fair (IE: don't get results here and run off to one of them for different outcome).
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-investigative-policy.140101/
    a Gentleman likes this.
  3. The Wayne Train

The Wayne Train Unconfirmed Reports

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:3245429
    Yeah, the situation was to discord screen the screen and I'd record it, as soon as the message was sent, he'd use the code. To avoid him tossing it to another user. (Not perfect but the best I could come up with)

I appreciate the information. Had this not been a Code transaction, how would one handle someone not accepting a return? Its been over 30 days, so I am free to do as I wish with the item?

The user has made it very clear that the item is still his and he wants it, "Don't Steal it" when I tell him to accept the item, or he may be unable to get it back, that's the reply I get, along side demands asking me to do stuff in exchange for him accepting the return.

Just want to be clear on this, been very much looking forward to when I can finally block / remove this guy. (I don't have to like him to still want to do the right thing, but he is impossible truly) (I intend to honor my last message I sent him, that I'd give him 30 additional days, but I plan to remove ,not block, in the interim.
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I'd offer them the items back if they refused then ohh well you decide for yourself how long you want to keep begging them to take something back.

sounds like a plan