1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to report a possible scammer without having been scammed?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Maverick-Hunter, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Maverick-Hunter

Maverick-Hunter New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:39104777
    Last week a friend who I had not spoken to since at least 2013 told me there was a ban on my account and told me to speak to a steam Admin named "Mr. Gordon Smith" which was resolved, banned and reported.

I also believe my friend's account was highjacked Here: 76561198041660294
    So I have filed a steam report and unfriended. I know this site does not deal with that, but I wanted to bring up he has people in on his profile questioning why he added them during September, as well with the conversation last week.

He spoke to me about me about unfriending him(The fake admin) and canceling the trade. No way would an steam mod give out what any information about other users. He then linked me to this profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/-Sexy-Emu/

Which has a showcase of being a middleman: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1516823807[​IMG]

However upon looking at SteamRep, no such verification exists. 76561198355089205
    He appears to be impersonating as a SteamRep middleman, so my question is: How should I go about filing a report? I wasn't scammed by him so I'm not sure if I can "report a scam", but I'm positive that's what would have happened as it was the same spiel. "Don't wanna get banned, add this admin and trade items."

Hopefully all information works, if not I will provide the best of my ability.
  2. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
  3. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Without making specific reference to the case you've mentioned: if you're ever unsure, I'd recommend you just file the report regardless. An archived or an invalid report can often mean just as much as one that was accepted.
  4. Maverick-Hunter

Maverick-Hunter New User

Steam:
    Thank you, So just file a report on a possible scammer? This is something that I never thought I'd have to deal with and I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up. I have to deal with knowing a friend's account has been hijacked and used to scam, even if it was just one from online.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    If you are having someone attempted hijack/phish you that needs to be reported to Valve. Nothing here we can do to them with that regards.
    There are instances here lately innocent users are already hijacked and then their accounts are used to do scam attempts on others. Thus someone reports them here and applies that blemish on their account. So if you have any thought at all that someone is attempting to phish or hijack you then report that to Valve.
    We do not review reports here for that.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-investigative-policy.140101/
    It is clearly noted there
  6. Maverick-Hunter

Maverick-Hunter New User

Steam:
    Yes, I am well aware you don't. Just having to deal with something like this is a little beyond my nerves.

Just sent a report. I hope they look into it soon. Talking about "ITEM-VALIDATION" on their profile is a huge red flag.
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Lots of users getting hijacked and the hijacker turns their profile into something really bad or fake to carry on the deed. It's sad that the user is caught up into all this which is why lately we've been really looking at accounts before we accept reports for something like this. Its SUPER important that anyone hijacked go thru Steam Support Tickets to get assurance from Valve that they were in fact compromised and had everything secured with account control regained and not just the normal account recovery methods.
  8. Maverick-Hunter

Maverick-Hunter New User

Steam:
    I hope he filed a report when it happened. I feel bad unfriending the account but since it's now used for dubious means, I don't feel safe having them as on my friend's list as they could look at my other friends for potential victims. Noting going to lie, knowing I was a nearly a victim of the same still has me a bit freaked out. I'm glad I realized a moderator at steam would never ask for a password under any circumstances.